There are all kinds of ways to take trick photos. If you’ve run out of ideas, or can’t seem to learn to take photographs that you want to, here are 5 tips that might help you.
5 Ways To Take Trick Photos
1. Be Prepared. This one isn’t exactly a technique, it’s more like a mindset. If you’re like me you probably see photo opportunities all the time. And you probably also say things like, “That would have made a really great picture”. The problem with would have is that it means you weren’t ready to get that shot. If you want to get more ways to take trick photos, you need to have your camera on you and be ready to capture the moment as it happens.
2. Toss It. Don’t do this with your expensive dslr, but using the timer function and tossing your camera in the air is a good way to get shots from an angle that wouldn’t otherwise be possible. You can get really creative with this. Chances are you’ll have to do a lot throwing before you get it right, but if you have some patience it will pay off eventually.
3. Throw An Object. Take a chair, for example. If you just take a picture of a chair then that’s not exactly trick photography. But if you get a picture of a chair that looks like it’s sitting on the ground, even though it’s 5 feet in the air, all of a sudden you have a trick photo. The key is to make sure that you get a shot of the chair when it is perfectly vertical. As soon as it looks like it’s leaning, the illusion is ruined and the picture loses its effect.
4. Use the Timer. If you’re taking a shot that requires a long exposure and you want to have a crisp image, sometimes even the act of pushing the button to take the shot will cause enough movement to blur your photo. To avoid that, you can use the timer to release the trigger, even while you’re hand holding the camera.
5. iPhone App. Yes, these actually exist. You can get an app for your iPhone that allows you to remotely trigger your camera. That should open up a whole new world of possibilities. Not only can you be somewhere else when the picture is taken, you can decided exactly at which point in time your image is captured.
Taking cool pictures is a lot in the imagination. There are often subtle differences that can turn a regular photograph into something that makes people look twice. With these ways to take trick photos, I hope you have added a few weapons to your arsenal for capturing those trick shots.